How to Soundproof Your Home from Outside Noise
Sep 15, 2020 By  Fenesta
When you are sitting in the comfort of your home, you certainly would not want to be disturbed by any unpleasant noises that may enter your home. Instead, you would want to enjoy a peaceful environment where you can relax. However, if your house is located near a busy street, peace may not always be possible, even during nights. Noises from the outside can be distracting and unpleasant, especially when you try to sleep at night.
Sound-proofing your home is the ideal solution to deal with such issues. From installing noise proof windows to modifications for your walls, there are several steps you can take: - Soundproof Your Windows
Generally, windows are the biggest source of noises being leaked from the outside. Cracks in the windows or ill-fitting frames are some of the reasons why the noises from outside seem to be getting louder with the passing years. The best way to fix this would be to replace your old windows with uPVC windows. They provide the ideal soundproof, sturdy, durable, thermally insulated, and termite proof window option for your home. However, if you are not ready to replace your windows, there are also several other steps you can take to improve their sound insulation, and the first thing to do would be to seal any cracks or openings to soundproof your windows.
- You can try sealing any gaps using acoustic caulk. Getting the help of an expert would be a better choice for doing this with precision.
- Weather-stripping foam tape can also be very helpful in sealing window cracks.
- There are soundproof window plugs that are available in the market; you can use them as a quick fix.
- In cases where the windows aren’t shutting properly, you can use a rubber gasket. These are thin self-adhesive rubber strips that will help in keeping the window tightly closed.
- The easiest DIY solution is to use heavy soundproof curtains on your windows for blocking the noise.
Soundproof Your Doors
As it is with windows, your doors too are a major source for sound leakage. There are high chances that the door might be allowing noises from the staircase or the hallway to leak into the house. Installing soundproof doors, like those made with uPVC is, of course, a good idea to deal with this issue. With that said, there are several other steps that you can take as well.
- Most doors tend to have gaps and cracks and sealing them would be the first thing to do when soundproofing your doors. You can use an insulating sealant to fill the gaps. This can then be painted over to match the colour of the door. Gap foam is another option that can help you fill the smaller cracks in the door as well.
- Use weatherstripping tape or a door gasket to take care of the gaps at the edges of the door.
- The sound getting inside your house may also bounce off the floor to get into the home. Placing a rug directly in front of the door will make a lot of difference.
In some cases, there are a few wall modifications that can help you in soundproofing your home further. If your house is old, then internal cracks in the walls may be adding to your noise problem. Apart from wall modifications, you can also try installing more sound blockers. Wall modifications will cost you much more than soundproofing your windows or doors, so it should be kept as the last option.
- Use caulk or other insulating materials to fill up any hole or crack you see in the walls
- You can also add a layer of acoustic board to the walls. This is a major project and you will also need to add another layer of drywall over the boards.
Soundproof the Air Vents of Your Home
Air vents are meant to provide good air circulation to your house, but if you are having noise problems, then they are another aspect that you need to check as well. Either you can drywall the entire gap or use filler spray. But this should only be done after you have installed soundproof windows and doors which make a world of difference.
A peaceful home can foster constructive habits and cosy vibes; that in itself is enough reason to make your abode the tranquil place you know it can be.
Customer Appreciations View All
Good product and awesome team.
Happy with the quality and service Team
I like the service offered by fenesta. Its one of the best upvc window making company. Thanks to fenesta raipur and Mr.prakash
It's great I have recently renovated my room with fenesta windows really mind blowing.
Happy with the team and services