Architecture and Design
Smart Interior Design Tricks To Make Your Space Look Bigger
You don`t need a degree in interior design to make your home look bigger than it is. There are a few golden rules to remember and you`ll be sailing your way to a more spacious looking house.
- Play with lighting: Try to bring in as much natural light as possible. French windows and doors, sheer blinds and light, airy curtains will do the trick. When using artificial lighting, use recessed or cove lighting that runs across the entire room. This visually gives the impression of a larger space.
- Think small and horizontal: Avoid using bold patterns on walls or this will make your room look congested. Horizontal stripes create the illusion of more space – so use this on furniture, upholstery, wall paper or even in the way your wooden flooring is laid.
- Vertical space: To make a ceiling look higher than it is, make sure the wall trimming contrasts with the wall colour. Stick to the lightest colours possible for the ceiling. Have one single long and narrow object in the room – like a floor lamp or a long vase. This will give the impression of a taller room.
- Use partitions generously: A sure shot way to introduce fluidity into a space is to use partitions. You can sue screens or folding doors. There are many options that come with folding doors, including bi folding doors and folding sliding doors. Do your research and pick a good brand. Most companies will be willing to customize their products for you.
- Use reflective surfaces to your advantage: Use as many reflective surfaces as you can. Strategically place mirrors in little nooks and try and use glossy laquer finishes in furniture in the living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.
Simple interior design ideas can turn the entire look of your space around. Go ahead and enjoy experimenting!