While we are worrying about how polluted the world is getting and it is impossible to breathe fresh air, look inside your home too.
Did you know?
Now that we know that our family’s health is not safe, these are few steps that can help improve air quality at home – the natural way.
1. Regular Dusting and Cleaning – Dust which settles in the home is very harmful. It gives rise to air borne pollutants, which we breathe, if the house is not dust free.
Image credit – fabulouscleaningservices.com
We tend to ignore cleaning and dusting far-fetched areas like fans, top of the fridge, top of the chimney and other such spaces. It should be cleaned on regular basis. Use a damp microfiber cloth to clean the home and not feather dusters. Feather duster will remove the dust for a while and settle it in other place.
2. Non Toxic Home Cleaners – Time to go green and non-toxic Use herbal non-toxic cleaners or least toxic cleaners for your home because toxic cleaners has harmful vapors which effect human skin and lungs. In addition, the propellants in aerosol products can be inhaled, so it’s prudent to use pump products instead.
Natural DIY All Propose floor cleaner recipe:
Image credit: Pinterest
Water – enough to fill the Spray bottle with
Mix them well and use it. Its is the most inexpensive, non toxic natural, safe for kids all purpose floor disinfectant cleaner for your home. This is even safe when you have pets and small children at home.
Vinegar: cuts grease, grime, dissolves mineral deposits, removes stains and breaks down odour.
Essential Oils: Herbal and non-toxic essential oil have anti microbial properties, which doesn’t let disease-causing microorganisms grow.
Baking Soda: it’s has powerful anti bacterial property, deodorizer and an effective stain remover.
Hydrogen Peroxide: It acts as bleach with more effect than vinegar. A key to home cleaning.
Lime: adds fresh scent, cuts the stains because of its acidic component.
3. Cross Ventilation and Circulation – Make this a ritual in the home, to open windows everyday to let in some fresh air with Sunlight. Sunlight is the natural germ killer. Cross ventilation in the house is a must; else air will be the breeding ground for germs. On the other hand, use the fan to circulate the fresh air in your home. A well circulated home with increased ventilation will be a healthier space to live in.
Image Credit: lymarch.com
4. Plant an Air purifier at Home – Improve the air quality of you home by purifying your space with these indoor plants:
A) Spider Plant: is used near the gas stoves in kitchen or fireplace, where maximum carbon monoxide is emitted. It removes carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, Xylene, other toxins or impurities.
Image credit: decoist.com
B) Mother In Laws Tongue/ Snake Plant – It can help get rid of formaldehyde, nitrogen oxide and benzene. In addition, it helps lower carbon dioxide levels and increases the level of oxygen at night. Place this plant in your bedroom or bathroom.
C) Areca Palm – It is the efficient humidifier, creates daytime oxygen for your home. Can be kept near carpeted room or freshly painted furniture .It removes the negative impact of pollutants like xylene, formaldehyde.
Image credit: decoist.com
D) Peace Lily – removes benzene, formaldehyde, acetone, ammonia, alcohol and trichloroethylene from the air. It boasts one of the highest transpiration rates on the list as well. Keep it out of reach of children and pets.
Image credit: epicgardening.com
E) English Ivy (Hedera Helix) – It’s a fix for all allergies. It acts against benzene, xylene etc. eliminates airborne fecal-matter particles. The plant is also great for a family with smokers in it. Its ability to soak up carcinogens from second-hand smoke helps to purify small areas. For those who have dust allergies or asthmatic, should surely keep English Ivy .It can also be placed in room, which has printer, fax machines and computers. Keep it out of reach from pets.
Image credit: sparkepeople.com
F) Bamboo Plants – best air filters for benzene and trichloroethylene and a great humidifier. This palm is a bit smaller than others and easy to grow in shady areas. It releases a good deal of moisture into the air and is considerably resistant to insect infestation.
5. Salt Lamps – Himalayan salt lamps have an incredible power to remove dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, and other contaminants from the air by locking the pollutants in the salt.
Image credit: Alaya International
It reduces allergy, asthma symptoms, and eases out coughing. It’s an effective neutralizer of electromagnetic radiation. Place it near the television, computer, cell phone, tablet, appliances, stereo and you will not find yourself in stress, fatigued in that room. It gives high energy levels and better sleep.
6. Replace Traditional Candles with Beeswax Candles – Candles surely beautifies are home but we don’t realize its also harming the air we are breathing. Traditional candles are made of gels and petroleum, which releases benzene, toluene in the air. On the contrary beeswax candles burn slower, lasts long and removes the air pollutants and toxins from our home.
Image credit: madewithlove.com
7 Essential Oils: Rather than spraying chemicals to freshen your home the safer alternative is to do what your grandma did: simmer a pot of spices on your stove like cinnamon sticks, apple peels, orange rinds, cloves, apple juice, vanilla, nutmeg will soon make your home smell like a bakers paradise.
Image Credit: kerzenladen.biz
Or the other option is to consider natural diffusers and vaporizers that rely on essential oils instead of chemicals.
Eat fresh, breathe fresh and live fresh every day of your life with these hacks, which will keep your home purified in the most inexpensive and natural way.
Do share your thoughts and your concerns about natural ways to purify your home. Share and like this blog and enlighten your family and friends to take a pledge to keep our homes purified always!!
Best Ways for Blocking Sound for a Quieter Home
Latest Sliding Door Designs for Your Home This New Year
9 Window Display Ideas For the New Year
Decorating French Doors for Christmas