Green Buildings: A Snapshot
Green Buildings are a model of sustainable development. They use resources efficiently to ensure that future generations are not deprived of them. They are all the more important in view of fast depletion of natural energy resources and threat of global warming. Besides natural resources, green buildings lay a lot of stress to the health of the end user. Hence green buildings with energy saving windows are not only environment friendly, but also a healthy place to work.
Green Building Ratings
LEED (Leadership in Energy Efficiency and Design) is the most widely accepted rating system on Green windows worldwide. It comprises a total of 69 credit points can be attained on the following basis.
Green Building Certification
LEED (Leadership in energy Efficiency and Design) is the leading rating system adopted in India and the world to certify green buildings. The rating has a total of 69 credits that can be availed on 6 different parameters. These include sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environment quality and innovation and accreditation professional inputs.
If you follow LEED Rating system, the use of Fenesta energy saving windows can contribute to valuable credit points under the following parameters:
- Energy and Atmosphere: Superior sealing saves energy
- Material and resources: They are recyclable and require lesser energy in production
- Indoor environment quality: Do not require any painting
Fenesta: Green Windows for Green Buildings
Made with Fenesta UPVC, the 'Green Material'
Fenesta windows are made of UPVC tropicalized for India. The framing material has replaced wood the world over. The use of UPVC eliminates dependence on wood which, in turn, leads to forest conservation.
While the insulation of UPVC is equal to wood, it scores over wood in three key areas: fire-resistance, durability and (absence of) annual maintenance.
Fenesta manufactures its own UPVC at its PVC resin and extrusion facility in the centre of India. The facility feeds the five fabrication units at strategic locations, each within 500 kilometers of most project sites.
The scrap generated at the extrusion and fabrication units is recycled. In 2008-09, scrap generation and utilization was 10%.
|Material Credit 3.0
||(Material with recycled content)
|Material Credit 5.0
|Material Credit 7.1
||(Non-use of wood)
Energy Saving Insulation
An energy saving window can save nearly 30% energy (Prof. NK Bansal, Centre of Energy Studies, IIT Delhi).
UPVC is a poor conductor of heat - The U-Value (the calculation of conducting properties) of UPVC is comparable to wood.
|Typical U-Value comparison of Materials
| Wood & PVC
||1.7 - 2.83
|Aluminum without thermal break
||10.8 - 12.5
| Source - Energy efficient windows, N.K. Bansal, Jyotirmay Mathur
Fenesta sets the benchmark with unique insulation enhancing features:
- Engineered design - Fusion welded joints, multi chambered profiles and multiple point locks for airtight sealing
- Quality of glass - Double glass prevents heat loss. Reflective or tinted glass reduces heat from solar radiation
- Silicon sealant between wall and frame - All gaps are sealed preventing any heat gain or loss
- Reduced air-conditioning costs - All these factors lower energy consumption and air-conditioning costs
- Meets SHGC standards specified by IGBC - Calculations of the U-Value and Solar Heat Gain Co-efficient of windows are dependent on the climate. Test reports (available on demand) show that the Fenesta window design scores a valuable point on energy performance
Recommended Window Glazing 'U' Value and SHGC Value
|Hot and Dry
|Warm and Humid
|Source - IGBC July 2008
|One IGBC Rating Point for Energy Performance
based on Energy Credit 1.0
UPVC is 100% recyclable. A report by British Plastics Federation states that PVC can be recycled with ease. It is now common practice to recover and recycle factory wastes and/or off-cuts even after the window has been fabricated.
Indoor Environment Quality
Excellent sealing keeps environmental pollutants like sound, dust and even tobacco smoke isolated. Street sounds are reduced dramatically. Test reports available on request.
Indoor Air Quality
No plasticizer of harmful extraction. Low VOC content (within permissible limits) in the silicone sealants. No threat of air pollution. Adhesives and sealants safe at all times. Meets IAQ Credit 3.0 for two IGBC Rating Points.
|Low VOC Materials: 2.0 points
Point for Innovation
When used in place of wood, Fenesta UPVC windows conserve natural resources. When used in place of aluminium, the windows contribute to energy saving as aluminium windows require 2.5 times more specific energy to manufacture.
Fenesta also raises the quality of life indoors by:
- Reducing noise levels by 28-35 decibels
- Preventing the ingress of dust, thereby extending the life of electrical and electronic appliances and reducing e-waste
|These features are worth one Rating Point under Innovation Credit 1.1
40-50 years, says a report by the British Plastics Federation, equivalent to the life of a building.
Accreditation of Facilities
Extrusion carries ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OSHAS 18001 and has received the British Safety Sword.
Energy Saving at the time of Production
The energy required to produce a window of aluminum is 2.5 times more than the energy required to produce a UPVC window. Fenesta's embedded energy is much lower than aluminum.
Low Emitting Materials (Paints and Coating)
Only requires routine cleaning with soap and water.
|Energy and Crude oil use
For different Materials
|Critical Volumes for the Production
of Different Materials
||Crude Oil use
||Critical volume of air
||Critical volume of Water
||m3 of air /kg
|Source - Environmentally friendly packaging in the future Stichting Milieudefensie (NI), 1991
Make the most of Fenesta Expertise
No other window manufacturer has the infrastructure, experience and expertise of Fenesta
- More than 9,00,000 window installations till date
- Clientele includes nearly all top builders in India with repeat orders
- Received citations, appreciation letters and awards
- R&D Facilities
- Six factories in strategic locations across the country
Complete Time Bound Project Management Solution
Fenesta's service infrastructure gives you complete peace of mind
- Design: Window experts help you select the best possible design, based on structural stability, sound insulation, wind load, aesthetics, ventilation and sunlight
- Survey: Experts measure each aperture and track the progress of each site, keeping the delivery schedule in view
- Manufacture: At Fenesta's fabrication facility, nearest to your project location
- Delivery: Timely delivery linked with project schedule
- Project Management: A proprietary project management system (FPMS) keeps track of each stage of the Fenesta process
- Installation: On time delivery is as important as quality
- Post Sales Service: Pan India service network, dedicated customer care centre.
|Just call 1800 102 9880 for action
LEED Certification: A Summary of Credits from Fenesta
As you know, the IGBC LEED Rating System demands a total of 69 credits. These can be drawn from six different parameters: sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environment quality and innovation and professional inputs.
Fenesta windows can make a valuable contribution to your accumulation of credit points in several critical areas:
- Energy Performance under Energy Credit 1.0 : Up to 1.0 Point
- Material with Recycled Content under Material Credit 3.0: Up to 2.0 Points
- Local Material under Material Credit 5.0: Up to 2.0 Points
- Non-use of Wood under Material Credit 7.1: Up to 2.0 Points
- Low VOC material under IAQ credit 3.0: Up to 2.0 Points
- Innovation under Inn Credit 1.1: Up to 1.0 Point
Fenesta windows have excellent insulation.
Heat loss / gain through a window can happen through any of the following four ways
- Heat flow through a window: This is measured by U value
- Amount of heat gained from direct solar heat as a factor of total heat falling on the window: Affected by the glass used in the window and less affected by the framing material.
- Amount of visible light allowed through a window as a factor of total visible light falling on the window: Affected by the glass used and the framing material.
- It is the amount of air that passes through a window: This is affected by how the window is made and installed, and depends on the design, type of material used and technology used to fabricate the window.
Fenesta windows are doubling sealed and fitted with multiple point locks and welded joints. The superior engineering ensures that there are no gaps. During installation, silicon is filled around the perimeter of the window ensuring no leakage.